Thursday, March 29, 2012

Crepe a la fraise

Snack: March 24

There are quite a few items on my “must try” list in the culinary world, and one of them was the crepe. The flimsy little patty was intimidating to me, though, because every chef who makes one on television or includes a recipe in a cookbook notes that the first one or two crepes of the batch may be a disaster. As you may know by now, I don’t take disasters well.

But at a time when I’m not able to purchase a lot of expensive ingredients, I searched my kitchen for something to make. I had all of the ingredients for crepes, including some fresh strawberries that were about to lose their freshness.

I looked up a number of crepe recipes online and found that the following seemed to be standard:

  • pinch of sugar & salt
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 egg
  • ¾ cup milk
  • ¾ tablespoon melted butter
I combined the dry ingredients, and I used an electric mixer on the wet ingredients in a separate bowl, then slowly added the flour mixture and the melted butter. I put 2 spoonfuls of the mixture in a lightly oiled small frying pan, rolled it around until it started to set, browned for a minute or two, and flipped it to brown on the other side.



Results:
I did it! There was no disaster of a failed crepe. While I did have problems with consistency throughout the batch, as some crepes were browner than I hoped, I got the hang of it quickly and produced some very tasty, thin crepes.

For the filling, I tried it off the top of my head. I put the fresh strawberries and a little water in a saucepan and brought to a boil with some sugar and a little corn starch as a thickener. I mushed some of the strawberries to thicken the sauce as well.



Results:
The crepe filling was good, but it wasn’t the thick sauce I hoped for. I may have included too much water or not enough sugar or corn starch. For the next effort, I should probably consult a recipe or do very small batches until I find the right consistency. Even so, it was edible, even a bit tasty.



No comments:

Post a Comment