Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Quiche Kerfuffle


Breakfast: January 3

Well, I present to you a failed quiche and a nonsensical word like kerfuffle. This isn’t exactly the way I wanted to start off the year!

I bought a quiche/frittata pan to spice up my breakfasts since I work from home and often get bored with the usual eggs, bacon, and toast. Then I searched the internet for the best way to make something in my new pan, the one with the bottom that pops out for easy access to the finished product. I discovered that quiche usually needs a crust, but there are many ways to make crustless quiches. I noted the basic ingredients in all of the recipes I found, and I decided to make my own.

(Insert your first criticism here.)

Here’s what I used:

  • 6 beaten eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 3 crumbled bacon slices
  • ¼ cup cooked spinach
  • pinch of dried basil
  • dash of garlic powder
  • salt & pepper to taste

Basics: Mixed all ingredients in a bowl, poured into quiche pan. Set on a cookie sheet and cooked at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Results:
Oh my. Where to start? First, this picture doesn’t look bad.



But upon closer inspection, you’ll see that a good deal of the liquid mixture leaked from the bottom of the pan onto the cookie sheet. And said sheet decided to pop/turn upon heating up, so the unbalanced sheet caused the quiche pan to be uneven, which made one side of the quiche nearly non-existent and the other much thicker, though still missing what leaked out.



It still looked edible, though, so I cut into it. The middle was not completely cooked. It was a bit runny and watery (maybe from the spinach?), and it certainly didn’t taste like a cooked quiche.



Clearly, I’m not ready to improvise as much as I did today. And I’m most certainly going to have to use a crust for any quiche I make in this pan, as the removable bottom piece is awfully sensitive to a liquid mixture (as it should be). If anyone has suggestions for a crustless quiche or any type of frittata/quiche, please comment!

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to make a quiche for days due to an old pie crust kicking around.

    I think you have too many eggs and not enough cheese in that recipe. Here's what I've used in the past:

    Bittman's crustless quiche recipe:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/dining/071mrex.html?ref=dining

    I adjusted the recipe (seen here: http://astincubed.blogspot.com/2008/05/twofer.html) and loved it.

    When I did a quiche with crust, I did this:
    http://astincubed.blogspot.com/2010/03/tasty-quiche.html

    If you want to use that pan and go crustless, you might consider lining it with parchment paper, although I'm not sure how that would work overall.

    There's also Ruhlman's quiche, but it's an adventure in patience (if I recall, it sits overnight in the fridge before cooking), requires a 9" mold that's 2" deep, and something like 8 eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your help! And I don't know why I didn't have your blog in my Google Reader before, but I do now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rule 64c: do not pour liquids into vessels with holes in the bottom.

    ReplyDelete