Sunday, November 20, 2011

More Stuffed Shells

Dinner: November 17

A few months ago, I made my first dinner with stuffed pasta shells. The remainder of that box of shells has been calling out to me from the pantry, so I sought a different recipe for said shells. What I came up with was this recipe, though I shamefully did not use Mueller’s pasta. Sue me.

I made the entire recipe because I wanted lots of leftovers to get me through the weekend, and I’m still noshing on them as of Sunday.

The recipe for four servings was as follows:

  • 20 jumbo pasta shells
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 15 ounces ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella
  • ½ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1 jar spaghetti sauce

Basics: Boiled pasta and drained. Cooked beef and garlic in skillet until browned, and removed excess fat. In bowl, combined ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, and egg. Stirred in beef and garlic. Spread 1 cup of spaghetti sauce in bottom of 13x9 baking dish. Spooned ¼ cup mixture into each shell and arranged in baking dish. Sprinkled remaining spaghetti sauce and extra grated Parmesan over the top, and cooked for 25 minutes in 350-degree oven. 


Results:
This was a very easy dish to prepare and luscious to devour. This would make a great dish for a group, and it’s very filling as a main course. While I normally stay away from jarred sauces, using it in this dish made preparation easier. I recommend this baked pasta for any occasion, though keep in mind that it is filling and probably loaded with calories.


4 comments:

  1. trying this tonight. wish me luck. couldn't find jumbo shells so going with biggest i could find, sea shells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. turned out great and sea shells worked just fine. only change i made was sprinkling mozarella cheese on top when putting in the oven. can't have too much cheese, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, Mark! You can NEVER have too much cheese!

    ReplyDelete