Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavolo

Lunch: October 25

With the weather turning chilly and me in a pasta mood lately, I wanted something spicy and filling. Still perusing the pages of Giada de Laurentiis’ cookbook “Everyday Italian,” I found a great recipe for Shrimp Fra Diavolo that looked yummy.

Another first for me was cooking raw shrimp. I knew it wouldn’t be difficult, but I had honestly never purchased raw shrimp. As it turns out, it takes only minutes to make them look pink and normal in a pan, but it was one of the many things on my cooking to-do list. Done.

  • ½ pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • salt to taste
  • ½ teaspoon of dried crushed red pepper flakes (I used more, lots more)
  • 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
  • ½ medium onion, chopped
  • ½ can diced tomatoes with juices
  • ½ cup dry white wine
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • pinch of dried oregano leaves
  • 1.5 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1.5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Basics:  Tossed shrimp with red pepper flakes and salt, sautéed in hot, olive oiled skillet until cooked. Removed shrimp from pan, added onion until translucent. Added tomatoes and juice, wine, garlic, and oregano and simmered about 10 minutes. Returned shrimp to pan, removed from heat, and added parsley and basil, with salt to taste.



I also made a simple spaghetti side dish, simply mixing cooked spaghetti with olive oil, fresh basil, and freshly grated parmesan cheese. 



Results:
This was a very easy dish to make, and it was delicious! I added extra red pepper flakes because I wanted it spicy, and it sure was. It was a light dish overall, but the addition of the pasta on the side made it a perfect meal. The entire process took less than 30 minutes. This is on my list to remake often!

1 comment: