Monday, October 17, 2011

Sassy Seafood Salad

Dinner: October 15

Seafood was on sale at my local grocery store, so I decided to go for some fishy recipes. The first on the list was a grilled seafood salad from Giada de Laurentiis’ cookbook, “Everyday Italian.”

The test for me in this recipe was grilling the seafood properly. I haven’t had overwhelming success with my stovetop grill thus far, and when I made scallops earlier in the year, I failed to brown them correctly. This was my chance to try again.

This is the recipe, cut in half to make only two servings instead of four, with notes as to the other changes I made:

  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped (I chose to mince it.)
  • ½ tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • ½ teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram (deleted, couldn’t find it at the grocery.)
  • ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (used dried thyme.)
  • 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice (used an entire lemon)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 ounces sea scallops
  • 6 ounces cleaned squid, bodies only
  • 7.5 ounces drained/rinsed white cannellini beans (completely forgot about this & left it out!)
  • 3 cups arugula leaves
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into strips (chose to leave this out)
  • ¼ yellow bell pepper, cut into strips (used entire pepper to make up for carrots)
  • ½ head of radicchio (no fresh at the grocery, used bagged radicchio & other greens)





(Adding a pic of the squid bodies so my mother can see what they look like. You're welcome, Mom!)


Basics:  Heated oil, herbs, and garlic over medium flame. Cooled, whisked in lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Heated stovetop grill, dipped scallops and squid in dressing, then grilled several minutes on each side. (Instructions said to use skewers, but that seemed like more trouble than it was worth.) Cut squid into rings. Added fish to bowl of arugula, radicchio, greens, bell pepper, and tossed with dressing, adding more salt and pepper to taste.



Results:
This was a very delicious salad! I don’t feel like I missed much by forgetting about the cannellini beans, as the salad was quite hearty as it was. It might have looked prettier with more ingredients and on a bed of whole radicchio leaves, but the regular salad format was just fine. I was able to grill the scallops perfectly on the grill (finally!), but the squid were another story. They simply didn’t accept any grill marks, and they took longer to cook than the scallops, as they barely changed color, and I was never sure when they were actually done. Even so, they did cook, and they were scrumptious! This was a rather easy preparation for a very healthy, delicious salad, and I will make it again when scallops are on sale again.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy. Thanks for posting the squid for me too :)

    Rosalynn

    ReplyDelete