Friday, September 30, 2011

Tasty Baked Tortellini


Lunch: September 29

My friend Kristy was coming over for lunch, and she was bringing her dog, Chewbacca, for a play date with my new pup, Vinny. I wanted to prepare a lunch that wouldn’t require much work when they arrived, so I sought a recipe online that would be hearty enough but easy to prep prior to their visit.

I settled on a cheesy baked tortellini recipe by one of my favorite chefs, Giada De Laurentiis. Combining tortellini, mascarpone cheese, and two other cheeses sounded like the perfect pasta lunch.

The only thing I had to do on my own was make a marinara sauce, as I don’t keep any in the house anymore.

Basics:  Combined can of diced tomatoes, some tomato paste, fresh basil, small amount of water, and two cloves of garlic in a food processor for the marinara. Added to that the mascarpone cheese, fresh parsley and thyme in a bowl. Cooked pound of cheese tortellini in salted water for two minutes, then drained and added to sauce. Put mixture in oiled baking dish, topped with sliced smoked mozzarella and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Baked at 350 degrees covered for 30 minutes.



Results:
This was a delicious and quick meal! I was pretty proud of my homemade marinara sauce, and everything combined quite nicely. The sauce with the mascarpone was very tasty, and the cheese on top of the dish made it that much better. I’ll definitely be making this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment