Monday, September 19, 2011

So-Good Steak Salad

Dinner: September 17

I don’t normally do salads, but put a steak in it, and I’m cooking it.

The main ingredients for this dish were delivered to me with the pup on Thursday night, as Amy and Gavin were leaving town for the weekend. They didn’t want the food to go bad, so they gave me the steak, curly endives, Romaine lettuce, and celery. They also gave me a printout of this Rachael Ray recipe. Perfect!

Basics:  Cooked flank steak on hot indoor grill, seasoning with salt and pepper as it went. Covered with foil for 10 minutes on cutting board, then sliced  across the grain. for the vinaigrette, combined tomato paste, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard (substituted for horseradish) and olive oil in a bowl. Whisked, then added chopped fresh parsley, salt, and black pepper. Poured some over chopped lettuce, endives, and parsley, and sprinkled rest over cut steak on salad.



Results:
This was amazingly good! This was only the second time I’ve ever cooked steak, but it was easy to do on the stovetop grill. The vinaigrette was good, though the tomato paste didn’t break down as it seemingly should have, so the dressing was a bit lumpy. However, it was a good meshing of flavors and went well with the salad as a whole, especially nice on the steak. The dish was very easy to prepare and somewhat healthy. Winner!

1 comment:

  1. Dressing tip... mix the seasonings, like salt and pepper, into the vinegar portion of the salad. Salt can't melt, at least quickly, in oil. Also, just mix everything but the oil together before adding oil. Just my advice. We eat a lot of salads, and I always make the dressings on the fly. Those are my standbys.

    ReplyDelete