Friday, September 30, 2011

Almost Grilled Chicken

Dinner: September 28

Every time I opened my freezer, a wrapped package of two chicken legs and two thighs stared at me. They had been frozen for several months, and I determined they probably needed to be cooked.

I found a simple recipe on the Food Network website, courtesy of Emeril Lagasse. The lemon, rosemary and balsamic grilled chicken thighs preparation looked easy enough, and I had all of the ingredients. I simply substituted the pieces of chicken available to me and cut the recipe in half.

Basics:  Combined balsamic vinegar, olive oil, fresh rosemary, chopped garlic, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes in a food storage bag, added chicken, and marinated for several hours. Removed chicken from marinade and seasoned with salt and pepper. Grilled (using stovetop grill) on each side for about 5 minutes.

I also chose to cut some carrots and grill them at the same time for an easy side dish.



Results:
The chicken and carrots themselves were good. The problem with the chicken was that the inside, closest to the bone, was not cooked fully. I removed them from the oiled grill when the skin was burning beyond what looked good, but the chicken still wasn’t done cooking. Additionally, despite rubbing oil on the grill prior to cooking, the skin of the chicken stuck to the grill, making it difficult to turn the pieces even after only a few minutes.

I was able to eat some of the chicken, but I lost a lot due to insufficient cooking time. I’m not exactly sure what I’m doing wrong with the grilling, but perhaps the grill was too hot. I will have to try again another time.

2 comments:

  1. Many people over cook things on the grill and it really has nothing to do with the grill itself. Basically, anytime I cook anything on the grill that takes longer to cook than say, a steak, I get the oven to 350. Once the grill marks are on the meat and the flavor has infused, I take it to the oven and finish it. This will get the flavor you want, the look you need, and the temp the meat needs to be at!

    As far as the skin sticking goes, I usually crank the heat up and let it go. The skin will come away from the grill, but you have to allow ample time for it to "come undone" from the grill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for chicken, to finish cooking in the oven. And thanks for letting me know about the skin on the grill... Maybe if I would let it go the proper amount of time, it would unstick itself! I'm too impatient for grilling. ;)

    ReplyDelete