Thursday, June 23, 2011

Bad Tuna

Dinner: June 20

I attempted to make a quick dinner for myself amidst a very heavy work schedule, and everything seemed to fall into place. The tuna filet was on sale at the grocery store the prior day, and broccoli and cauliflower were on sale as well. I saved them for a convenient and simple Monday night meal.

The problem was that I used the tuna on the “sell by” date on the package. Evidently, that means it’s certainly not as fresh as it should be. In truth, I believe nothing at a store like Ralph’s is as fresh as it should be, but it’s the most convenient grocery stop for me. Let’s let that be the preface to the story…



I had seen tuna cooked on television and figured I knew how to do it. I also made my broccoli/cauliflower mixture on a previous occasion and decided to wing it.

Basics:  Seasoned tuna filet with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Topped with a little dried rosemary. Cooked on hot stovetop grill for 3 minutes per side to keep the inside semi-raw. Placed cut broccoli and cauliflower in baking dish, seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, and added fresh garlic. Topped with pieces of butter, covered with tin foil, cooked at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Results:
The vegetables were wonderful. They were moist and tasty - the perfect simple side dish. The tuna, on the other hand, tasted okay but was not okay. It was several hours after consumption that I began to feel extremely nauseous and feverish, and my stomach was in a knot for the entire night and next day. That fish was not fresh, and the “sell by” date was erroneous.



Should I ever cook a tuna filet again, I will make sure to buy it from a fish market and cook it immediately after purchase since I do like it mostly raw. The lesson learned was not to trust a grocery store’s fish unless I plan to cook it thoroughly.

But considering how painful the sickness was from the unfresh tuna, it may be awhile before I attempt that one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment