Friday, May 20, 2011

Rosemary Pork & Risotto

Dinner: May 19

The most recent sales items I picked up at my local supermarket were thin pork cutlets and mushrooms. What to do? Search the Cooking Channel website for recipes that matched my ingredients. It’s surprising how easy it can be to find something reasonably simple by typing in an ingredient or two.

This recipe was a full meal in one. I’ve never noticed Dave Lieberman before, but this particular recipe caught my eye. I was going to make a creamy mushroom risotto with rosemary pork.

The primary change I made to this recipe was the pork. I had small, thin cutlets, and the recipe called for a sizeable slab of pork tenderloin. So, I worked with what I had and simply cooked the pork my way via his suggestions. I also did not have fresh rosemary, so I substituted dried rosemary.

First, for the risotto…

Basics:  Heated oil in large saucepan. Added shallot and cooked several minutes before adding Arborio rice. Stirred several minutes, then added chicken stock and white wine. In separate pan, poured cut mushrooms in boiling water, turned off burner, covered, and let steam for 10 minutes. Added mushrooms and water to risotto, added salt, simmered. Cooked until creamy, then added butter, parsley, and grated pecorino cheese.

Results:
So creamy and delicious! I may have overcooked the risotto a bit for fear of undercooking it as I did several months ago, but it was good regardless. The butter and cheese at the end made it beautifully creamy, and the mushroom pieces gave it a nice bite.



And then the pork:

Basics:  Seasoned four thin pork chops with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Sauteed in olive-oiled pan for a minute or two on each side, transferred to small baking dish, drizzled with olive oil. Cooked 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

Results:
It was a simple and flavorful way to cook the little chops. It was no pork tenderloin, but this was all I needed for an easy meal, and one with a few leftovers. And it went wonderfully with the mushroom risotto.



1 comment:

  1. This looks so good. I want some right now! Bookmarking to save the recipe to try out soon...yum.

    ReplyDelete