Thursday, April 28, 2011

More with Lentils

Dinner: April 27

Nearly two weeks ago, I decided to experiment with lentils and loved the dish that resulted. With a half bag of lentils still in my cabinet, I thought another effort was in order.

This time, I searched for a lentil soup recipe and found one from Giada De Laurentiis on the Cooking Channel website. It seemed simple enough for a weeknight meal, though I did have to cut it in half because I didn’t need 6 servings.

I made a few additional changes to the recipe. I used a shallot instead of an onion, I used dried thyme because I didn’t have a fresh sprig handy, and I chose to eliminate the use of Parmesan cheese over the soup because I’ve found that cheese gets clumpy when grated over a hot soup.

Basics: Heated oil in large pot, then added shallot, carrot, celery, garlic, salt and pepper until tender. Added half can of diced tomatoes with juice, simmered about 8 minutes. Added lentils and mixed, added chicken broth and thyme. Brought to a boil, covered, lowered heat, simmered 30 minutes. Added pasta, simmered another 10 minutes.

Results:
It turned into more of a stew than a soup, but it was a good one! The flavors were very tasty, and it was a warm, filling meal in a bowl. I believe I used too many pasta noodles and not enough broth. And even though I cut the recipe in half, it still made enough for more than three servings. Much too much, in fact! But it is a good meal that I won’t mind having for a few more days. Delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment