Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Emeril's Eggs, Sorta

Snack: March 9

During a week that mostly consists of taking care of myself, I certainly wanted to include some food therapy but do it using fairly simple recipes and working on my Mexican food difficulties (results to be posted in a day or two). But tonight was simple. I had eggs that were starting to cluck at me for being around too long, and I had a craving for deviled eggs. Problem solved.

I’ve always loved my mom’s deviled eggs, but I’ve never had the courage to make them, despite her insistence that they were easy to do. So, I found a recipe online, courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, that seemed to combine my mom’s ingredients with a little extra kick.

I made several changes to the recipe, mostly because I’m on a budget and didn’t want to buy garnishes. So, I left off the radicchio leaves and parsley as garnish, simply using the paprika and throwing on some sea salt. In addition, I didn’t have white wine vinegar, so I substituted white wine and vinegar, hoping it had the same effect. I also left out chives because I didn’t have them.

Basics:  Hard boiled six eggs, cooled, and peeled. Removed yolks, mixed with mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, white wine, vinegar, salt and pepper. Added finely chopped jarred jalapenos and Tabasco sauce. Put entire mixture into Ziplock bag, cut a small corner hole, and used as pastry bag to fill egg whites. Topped with paprika and sea salt.

Results:
This turned out to be a very basic recipe but very good. The similarity to my mom’s eggs stopped with the jalapenos and Tabasco, but I liked the spice. The white wine and vinegar seemed to work well instead of white wine vinegar (not shocking), and though I used a bit too much paprika, it didn’t hurt the taste. The only thing I would change is to add a little more mayonnaise next time. Yummy and filling snack.



Though I strayed from the Emeril touch and they didn’t turn out to be masterpieces fit for a food show, I was pleased with the outcome. As I try more recipes, I’m feeling more comfortable omitting items to fit my budget and taste, and it often works … like with these eggs. Who knew?

2 comments:

  1. Good job! Something that I learned in culinary school was to use ricotta cheese rather than mayonnaise. I don't know how it tastes because I don't eat deviled eggs, but when I make them for others, they seem to like my version. Give it a shot next time you happen to hear the clucking, and have some ricotta hanging around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try that next time. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete