Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fish in Foil

February 1: Dinner

So many of these recipes are firsts for me. I’ve never cooked salmon, and I’ve never cooked anything in foil. They look so easy when someone like Giada de Laurentiis does it on the Food Network, so I was anxious to find out if it was as simple as it seemed. Besides, salmon was on sale this week.

I used Giada’s recipe with the exception of using a grill. I also used white wine instead of Marsala wine. And I cut the recipe down to only one salmon filet because, well, salmon still isn’t cheap even on sale…and it was just for me anyway.

Basics: Brushed salmon filet on top and bottom with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Placed on foil with teaspoon of capers, lemon juice, 2 lemon slices, sprigs of rosemary, and white wine. Wrapped tightly. Baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

I also decided to try to foil something else, and broccoli was my choice.

Basics: Seasoned broccoli with salt and pepper, doused with melted butter. Wrapped tightly. Baked at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

Results:
I may be cooking everything in foil going forward. It was delicious! The salmon was juicy and very tasty. (Normally, I need a tartar sauce of some kind with salmon, but it was unnecessary tonight.) The broccoli looked a little brown around the edges when it came out, and though I normally like it somewhat al dente, this was soft and super buttery. It was the perfect amount of food for one person, and it was one of my best-ever meals.



Who knew foil was such a miracle worker?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! Foil cooking is fun and an easy clean up!

    ReplyDelete