Saturday, January 1, 2011

Welcome!

To start with the obvious, I’ve launched a new blog. My catch-all spot on the internet is quite full - or will be - with a variety of topics, as per its name (http://pokerpoliticspurpose.blogspot.com/), but I felt that this project deserved its own space and attention.

Over the past two years, I’ve been increasingly interested in cooking, but it wasn’t until 2010 that I started putting forth more of an effort in the kitchen. I watched more cooking shows on television, narrowed my interests to mainly Italian and French cuisine, and stocked my kitchen with the basic foods and utensils necessary to cook properly. Even so, my cooking experiments were fewer than hoped, but I intend to change that in 2011.

For those interested in following along with my project, keep in mind that I’m starting this at a fairly basic level. My knowledge of food and the cooking process is certainly at the beginner level. For example, I only recently discovered how to properly boil an egg and slice an onion. And my familiarity with wines is also quite rudimentary, as my budget only allows $10 or $15 per bottle (at most!) and I’m still learning terms like oaky and peppery. With all of that said, I hope to learn a lot through trial and error as the year progresses and boost my culinary intelligence a few notches in the process.

The plan is to try a minimum of one or two new recipes each week, and I will post the results of the meals with pictures. I will be trying at least one new wine each week, and if the budget allows, a new cheese each week as well. Pictures and novice reviews will accompany the weekly postings. There may also be a food challenge with a friend, and details will be forthcoming should we put it all together soon.

Thanks in advance for visiting this site, and I look forward to sharing my experiences, as well as receiving your comments and tips, as I begin my food and wine adventure.

Chi mangia bene, vive bene. (Who eats well, lives well.)

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! Good for you Jen! I so live vicariously through you!!! Can't wait to see what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete