Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Simple Talapia with Veggies

January 25: Dinner

This meal was something I threw together myself. I first tried breaded talapia when my sister and nieces visited last summer, and I’ve been doing it regularly since because talapia is a tasty white fish that often goes on sale. This week, it was on sale again - two large filets cost less than $2 - so I put it together with some easy vegetable options. I was watching the State of the Union speech, so I didn’t want anything too complicated.

Basics: Covered talapia with coating of flour, coating of egg, and coating of bread crumbs with herbes de Provence added. Salted and peppered, tossed in hot olive-oiled pan, cooked on each side for 3-4 minutes until golden brown.

As for vegetables, I had carrots in the fridge, as well as a frozen bag of artichoke hearts.

Basics: Cut carrots and added garlic to oven-ready dish. Melted butter and brown sugar and poured over carrots, adding salt and pepper. Baked in the oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes. Frozen artichoke hearts added to 2 cups boiling water. Added chopped garlic, boiled for 5 minutes, and drained.

It was all rather simple, and the entire process took less than 30 minutes.



Results:
Though it was a light dinner, the size of the talapia made it a filling one. The only change I made to my usual recipe was adding the herbes de Provence, and to be honest, it was unnecessary and actually complicated the flavors too much. The mild talapia flavor was lost in too much herbage; lesson learned. The vegetables were perfectly paired with the fish.

Wine:

I decided on a chardonnay to go with the fish, and I chose it from the selection that was sent to me before Christmas by my mom and sister. This was another California wine, from Carneros and cellared in Napa, called Tough Day Chardonnay. It wasn’t the best white wine I’ve ever tasted, but it was good, smooth and light, and it partnered well with the food. The 2009 Mira Luna wine is definitely a reasonable choice for winding down from a stressful day.



No comments:

Post a Comment