Saturday, January 1, 2011

Fab Fried Chicken

January 1: Dinner

This is not the usual fare that will be part of my weekly recipe attempts, but chicken was on sale, and it sounded like something fun. Being that I’ve never made fried chicken, I decided to try the simplest recipe I could find.

Basics: Breaded the chicken thighs with flour, then egg, then bread crumbs with a little herbes de Provence added. Placed them in a baking dish coated with vegetable oil. Baked at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, flipped the chicks (did not smack them or rub them down), and baked for another 30 minutes.

I also decided to make another attempt at macaroni and cheese with an extremely simple recipe, considering my last try at a bechamel sauce with melted cheeses failed miserably.

Basics: Boiled and drained macaroni. Mixed milk, egg, melted butter, and shredded parmesan and cheddar cheese, and poured over pasta in a baking dish. Covered in bread crumbs and cooked for 30 minutes.

Lastly, I mixed up some canned French green beans, canned cream of mushroom soup, and a coating of bread crumbs on top. I baked that for 30 minutes.

Results:
Chicken fried nicely and tasted good, though it seemed the herbes de Provence addition was the key to a very attractive flavor. The mac & cheese was tasty, and since I made half a recipe but still spread it out in an 8x8 dish for baking, there was plenty of crisp on the top and edges. The green bean casserole did not need the bread crumbs on top; they didn’t cook and were scraped off before eating.



It was a simple meal to begin the year but one that nearly guaranteed success. From here on out, I’ll get more creative and adventurous!

No comments:

Post a Comment